Saturday, July 19, 2014

Lavender Dreams

      Wanna  lesson in Washington State phonetics?  Pronounce this... Sequim.  How is it supposed to sound? Skwim- yes- you heard me... er.. read me. Sequim.  Amazing right?  I love that about this state. All these amazing names, pronounced without the least bit of logical phonetics.  That's not the only one.  There are a LOT of names that are based on the history of the indigenous peoples. Washington has a fascinating history.  Becoming a resident as an adult has been fun learning all the history, still not keen on the geography, but always a work in progress, eh? 

    Anyhow, this weekend marks the 18th Annual Lavender Festival in Sequim, Washington.  I went a few years ago when my sister came for a visit. This year, I decided I wanted a road trip and with the weather being beautiful- I did. My husband even played hooky to go with me.  It's about a solid 2 hour drive from my house. It's also a beautiful drive too.   

     I went for the lavender fields, it's a beautiful and visually inspiring area. Sequim itself is a quaint little town. The mountains from that angle are the Olympics, nice change of scenery... literally. The weather was gorgeous is dry for Washington (see the link to Wikipedia for all the details). It's also the retirement capital of the state. I can definitely see why. It's beautiful!  During the Lavender Festival, they also have a wonderful street/art fair. TONS of inspiration and anything goes- lots of artists really play up the lavender stuff. I always feel like I'm at a museum. I saw lavender manifested in so many mediums I just never would have thought... not just the color- the actual little bundle sprig of lavender. Very beautiful!  My goal was just to go to the street fair and hit up one or two of the farms for photos and a token or two.   


 
      We had a lovely time at the street fair- but it was very sunny and hot and despite the lemon lavender ice cream  (my hubby had the vanilla bean lavender) it was quite toasty. Luckily just when the clouds went away we were ready to hit the farm and grab some lunch. We ended up just going to one farm, but it is probably one of my favorites. Meaning it has parking, a gift shop AND the typical picturesque fields of lavender. 
 
     Here's a few notes- the place was BUZZING with bees. But they were so busy I wasn't worried and felt comfortable moving from row to row. This place was full of sound and smell. Soooo lovely. Nothing is more amazing than smelling a field of lavender. Being able to sit on a bench on the edge of the field and take it all in. So grateful for this lovely experience. 


    We ended up just hitting the one farm but spent some time there just chillin' and taking in the lovely view.  When that was done- we grabbed a late lunch/ early dinner and headed back home.  Promptly getting stuck in rush hour traffic on a Friday.  **DOH!**   At least I still had the memories of a few hours earlier to get me through. ha..

Here's to a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment