Thursday, April 3, 2014

Recharging

 So... inspiration today was taking a long walk in the woods. I was wanting to explore a new section of the trail and didn't take my dog, he's usually good for 1-2 miles, and I didn't want to make him overdo it. I had a good walk. The temperature was perfect. One part is a subtle incline and I am already feeling it (in a good way). But I had alone time to think and reflect. As I progressed on along a seemingly long part of a uphill trail, I had an idea of where I was, but also knew I still had a few miles left ahead of me. It kinda felt endless... then I stopped, turned around and looked back down the trail. It reminded me of a quote I had found just a few days ago and now it resonated a little deeper. I tried to find who to give credit to, but it kept coming up unknown.  The quote is:

 "The reason why people give up so fast is that they tend to look at how far they still have to go, instead of how far they have gotten."

  Which was exactly how I felt, except I couldn't give up because I was a couple miles in and still had a couple miles to go to finish my goal. Why backtrack when I can move on- I pressed forward. I was rewarded by reaching my goal- a gorgeous lookout point and the dang mountain was still under clouds. RATS!!!  So I hoofed it down to the coffee shop, had a coffee and sat by the fire before heading home. But the mountain did peek out from the clouds just a little bit from this view.


From this view- I was able to *see* how far I really did come today. Not just because of the fancy trail map posted on the board at the coffee shop.  lol But I could see how far I'd walked. I felt good.  I need to apply that quote to my life in general. I don't know why I haven't looked back at my progress before. In life, not just a walk. Maybe because it's that biblical reference involving pillars of salt? lol  But I've come a long way. I still have a ways to go, but looking back- wow. I can do this. If I can move twice in 6 months, I can surely survive unpacking one final time.  

Total mileage hoofed today:  Just a little over 4 miles, my goal is 7 and eventually 10. Eventually turn that 10 mile walk into a 10 mile jog. So while I share my distance, I will not, however, share how long it took me. That's another level of goals. lol 

I can do this...   Oh yes... YES I can. But first...

 Neosporin for my blisters. ;)  Because apparently I am a glutton for punishment and go for the longest walk while breaking in a new pair of shoes.  *DOH!*

No comments:

Post a Comment